These French Fries, done in an Actifry™ or paddle-type air fryer, have the taste and mouth-feel of chips from an old-fashioned fish and chip shop.
They come out golden-brown and crispy yet moist on the outside, and fluffy on the inside.
Where can you buy duck fat? Various grocery stores carry it, depending on where you live. I’ve done a small write-up on where to look for duck fat. You can also order it from Amazon quite reasonably: duck fat.
Duck Fat French Fries
- Peel the potatoes, chip them into French Fry size, put in water to soak for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready, put the tablespoon of duck fat in the Actifry. Let the machine run for 2 minutes to melt the fat completely. Meanwhile, drain the fries dry, and pat them dry with a clean tea-towel or in a salad spinner. Pop into Actifry, set the timer for 45 minutes. Check after 35 minutes to see how they are getting on; let cook further to brown and crisp further as desired.
The soaking helps to draw some of the starch off, resulting in a crisper fry. It also stops the potato from going black until you are ready for it.
You can leave the skin on, but they won’t come out quite as crisp.
TIP: If you are just making a small batch of fries, like, for one person, then a tablespoon of duck fat is too much — your fries will be swimming in it! It really is that much more better lasting in the pan than oil! Try instead 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of duck fat until you get the moistness right for your tastebuds.
5 servings of 100g (1 cup / 3.5 oz) each. Each serving is 6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus®. (The recipe has 32 points in total.)
We’re using duck fat here instead of oil for the following reason: oil evaporates quickly in heat, as a lot of it is water. Duck fat doesn’t, it sticks around and goes further. Therefore, 1 tablespoon of duck fat (at 4 ww points) does the job of 2 or 3 tablespoons of oil, which would add 9 additional points to the recipe total.
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by hotairfrying.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.
* Actifry™ is a registered trademark of SEB, France.
Duck fat on Amazon: duck fat