These easy grilled tomatoes taste great, are virtually fat free, and make a great side to any meal, including breakfast. We made these in the top pan of a two-level Actifry™ (“Actifry 2 in 1™”), but you can also use a regular Actifry with a snack tray inserted, or a basket-type fryer such as a Philips Airfryer™.
You can serve them piping hot, room temperature or chilled.
Air Grilled Tomatoes
- Wash tomatoes. Cut in half (doesn't matter in which direction.) Turn over, spray bottoms lightly with 1 spray of cooking spray.
- Turn all halves cut side up. Spray lightly with 1 spray of cooking spray. Sprinkle with ground black pepper and your choices of dried or fresh herb or herbs, such as: parsley, oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, sage, etc.
- Place tomato halves into top tray (or snack tray) of Actifry cut-side up. (No need to spray the top tray.) Turn Actifry on for 20 minutes. (In a basket-type air fryer, try 160 C / 320 F with no preheat for 20 minutes.) After 20 minutes, check for doneness, which will vary based on size of tomatoes, how many halves you are actually doing at once, ripeness of tomatoes, your personal preference, etc. If needed, give them another few minutes.
- Tip! If you are making a meal for which you also require the bottom Actifry bowl, cook the grilled tomato halves to 20 minutes, remove top pan from Actifry, proceed with cooking in the bottom bowl, then when everything else is ready, just place the top pan with the tomatoes back in for a 2 minute reheat.
Adjust the quantities as desired obviously — you can fit a max of about 8 tomato halves in the top Actifry tray, depending on size of the tomatoes.
Serve hot with breakfast, as part of an English full-cooked breakfast, or serve hot with grilled meats, etc.
Or serve room-temperature or chilled as a summer side dish or as part of an antipasto selection, sprinkled with grated Parmesan, minced parsley and drizzled with walnut, avocado or olive oil.
You may think of other ways to dress them up: chopped fresh oregano or marjoram, mince chives, a small dollop of low-fat sour cream, a few sprinkles of grated low-fat cheddar, etc.
Per 2 halves, 27 calories or 0 Weight Watchers PointsPlus® .
If you are serving this as part of an anti-pasto, a very light drizzle of oil and very light sprinkle of Parmesan would probably only add a negligible 1 ww point per 3 or 4 tomato halves
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by hotairfrying.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.
* Actifry™ is a registered trademark of SEB, France.
* Airfryer™ is a registered trademark of Koninklijke Philips N.V.