Chunks of succulent beetroot roasted in duck fat, then glazed in maple syrup.
These toothsome nuggets of roasted beets have a wonderfully decadent, luxurious flavour. The mellow sweetness of maple syrup complements the earthy tones of the beets’ flavour while highlighting their natural sweetness without masking it.
The duck fat helps to crisp the chunks in a way that oil can’t, yet, the finished beets remain incredibly low in calories thanks to roasting them in the Actifry™.
Maple-Syrup Glazed Beets Air Roasted in Duck Fat
- Wash beets lightly, peel them, then cut into 2 to 3 cm (1 inch) chunks.
- Pop the 1 tbsp duck fat into the Actifry to melt; heat for 1 minute. Add beetroot chunks, cook for 40 minutes. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of maple syrup over, cook for a final 10 minutes or until tender to your liking, then just before serving toss in the final 2 tablespoons of maple syrup.
- Serve piping hot.
You can make this a day or two ahead; reheat for 5 minutes in Actifry before serving.
Tip: for a variation, try 4 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar instead of maple syrup; the ww points remain the same.
Instead of duck fat, you can use goose fat, or suet — you can also use oil, though you’ll likely need 2 or 3 tablespoons of oil to replace the 1 tbsp of fat. Butter would burn.
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by hotairfrying.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.
* Actifry™ is a registered trademark of SEB, France.