I grew up in a half Nova-Scotian household, so potato hash was a regular part of breakfast. You can enjoy an easy, healthy potato hash along with your breakfast or brunch from your paddle-type air fryer such as an Actifry™. And while the air fryer is taking care of cooking the hash, you are freed up to cook whatever else you are making.
You can also beef this up to make it part of a supper.
Just 5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus® per hearty 125g / 1 cup serving.
Air Fried Potato Hash
- Melt duck fat in Actifry for 2 minutes.
- Peel and dice onion, add to Actifry, Wash, seed and chop 1/2 a green pepper. Add to onion in Actifry, cook for 5 minutes.
- Wash potatoes, peel or don't peel, dice into a small cubes, add directly into Actifry along with the seasonings. Set the timer for 30 minutes and let cook.
- Meanwhile, lightly spray a non-stick cooking pan with cooking spray. Grind some pepper in, let the pepper heat for a minute to develop the flavour, then pour in the egg and let it cook until solid. Take it out of the pan, chop it up, set aside.
- When the timer beeps, add the egg to the potato mixture and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve piping hot with some sliced fresh tomato and whatever else you have going for your meal.
750 g of potatoes is about 1 1/2 pounds; 250 ml of egg substitute is 1 cup.
We’re using duck fat instead of oil because less of it goes so much further than more oil; it also gives a certain crispness. You can of course use oil instead; you’ll need about 3 to 5 tablespoons of oil, depending on how moist you want it.
Seasonings are just suggested; adjust to your preference.
After you’ve made the hash a few times, you will get a feel for how crisp or soft you like your potatoes and you can adjust the cooking times accordingly.
We’ve tried just pouring the uncooked liquid egg into the potato mixture to skip the frying pan step, but it just seemed to be absorbed by the potatoes. If you have an Actifry 2 in 1™”, you could try cooking the egg in the top tray.
If you aren’t worried about the “healthy” angle, you can use real salt and scramble up 5 to 6 whole eggs.
You can make this more into a meal by adding a drained can of no-added salt peas (adds 1 ww point per serving); some cooked, chopped up low-fat breakfast sausage (adds 2 ww points per serving for every 6 sausages). etc. You can also consider some chopped ham, chopped beef, etc. Add anything like this already cooked and in the last 5 minutes of cooking along with the chopped egg. Adjust points / calories accordingly if you track such information.
Leftovers are best reheated in the Actifry.
Per 125 g / 1 cup, 199 calories or 5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus®.
* Nutrition info provided by https://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by hotairfrying.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.
* Actifry™ is a registered trademark of SEB, France.