A basket-type hot air fryer is a dedicated air-frying machine in which the food is cooked in a basket.
The basket usually has a handle for easy tossing of the food at one or more intervals during cooking.
There are at least four main differences between basket-type air fryers, and paddle-type air fryers:
- Basket-type usually require intervention from you during the cooking process at intervals depending on what you are cooking (e.g. to toss the fries). Paddle-type generally do not as they turn the fries themselves;
- Paddle-type can do liquid dishes such as risotto and curries;
- Basket-type are gentler with battered and coated foods such as onion rings and home-battered foods,etc. Paddle-type can rip the coating off (though special trays are available for some models)
- Basket-type have fewer moving parts so may prove to have a longer life span, depending on the make.
Some people say a basket-type air fryer is basically a convection oven with a high-powered blower, and a basket. But, on most models, the air flows inside are actually designed to mimic the flow of oil in a deep-fryer, so there is a fundamental difference.
Note that almost all models so far seem to use an upper heating element as the heat source. One or two, though, use halogen bulbs as the heat source. If you purchase a halogen-powered one, be sure to enquire thoroughly first what you do when the bulb burns out — some makers hard-wire them in so that burnt out bulbs are not replaceable.
The Quik N Crispy commercial basket air fryer was invented some time before 1990, but the first basket-type air fryer for home use was released by Philips in 2010.
Since then, many different makes have been released which are similar to the Philips design, in all different price ranges.
Note: We have made the Philips AirFryer a top-level category of its own because of its predominance in the field.
- The Black and Decker Air Fryer is a basket type fryer. As of 2014, it seems to be marketed only in Canada so far. It looks very similar to the BM Satellite Air Fryer marketed in the Middle East. Dimensions: Weight: Capacity: 1 kg / 2 pounds Watts: not known Runs at 110 volts Temperature:... Read More »
- Marketed in the Middle East. It looks very similar to the Black and Decker Air Fryer marketed elsewhere. Watts: 1500 Capacity: 1 kg / 2 pounds Runs at 110 volts Temperature: Dial. From 80 C 200 C (175 F to 390 F) Timer: Up to 30 minutes Colour: White (black may be available) Basket divider:... Read More »
- Heat: Heating element Fan: Fan Dimensions: 14 x 11 x 12 inches Weight: 13 pounds Capacity: 2.2 litres / US quarts Watts: 1400 Runs at 120V/60Hz Temperature: Dial. Range from 80 to 200 C (175 to 400 F). Timer: Up to 30 minutes. Auto turn off. Dings when cooking time is completed. Colour: Black with... Read More »
- Appears to be the same machine as GoWISE USA 8-in-1 Electric Air Fryer. A very similar machine is also sold under the brand name of Rosewill. Heat: heating coil Fan: Fan Dimensions: H 12″, W 10″, D 13″ Weight: Capacity: 2.5 US quarts / 2.3 litres Watts: 1400 Runs at 120V/60Hz Temperature: Digital. Up to... Read More »
- The 2.5 US quart / 2.3 litre model appears to be the same machine as Good Cooking Air Fryer. A very similar machine is also sold under the brand name of Rosewill. There are two sizes: regular (2.5 US quart / 2.3 litre) and large (3.2 US quart / 3 litre.) The larger model is... Read More »
- Heat: not known Fan: Fan Dimensions: 13″ H x 13 1/2″ W x 11″ D Weight: 11 1/4 lbs Capacity: Up to 1 US quart / litre volume of food at once. Temperature: Dial. 170 to 400 F Timer: Dial. Up to 60 minutes. Basket: The round basket is solid, black-coated metal. It has vertical... Read More »
- Heat: Halogen Fan: Convection fan Dimensions: 12 1/2″L x 12″W x 15 1/2″H Weight: 11.25 lbs. Watts: 1230 Runs at 120 V Capacity: 4.2 US quarts / 4 litres Temperature: Dial. Up to 400 F. Timer: Dial. Up to 60 minutes. Auto shut-off when cooking time is completed. Colour: Black, with steel front Basket. Black... Read More »
- Dimensions: 13.5 x 11 x 12.5 inches Weight: 11.5 pounds Capacity: 2.325 US quarts / 2.2 litre Watts: 1500 Runs at 100-127V Temperature: Dial. From 176 F to 392 F / 80 to 200 C Timer: Dial. Up to 30 minutes. Auto-off. Beeps when done. Colour: White with blue accents Basket. Round. Coated black metal... Read More »
- Appears to be the same base model as the Glip and Duronic air fryers, with some small differences Glip: Recipe book: not sure; Heating element plus infrared: not sure Duronic: Recipe book: yes; Heating element plus infrared: not sure Living Basix: Recipe book: no; Heating element plus infrared: Yes Compare with Heat: Heating element plus... Read More »
- Capacity: 2.4 US quarts / 2.2 litres / 800 g Watts: 1500 Runs at 220-240v Temperature: Dial. From 176 F to 392 F / 80 to 200 C Timer: Dial. Up to 30 minutes. Colour: Black Model #: NAF007 Warranty: 1 year Notes Sold in the Middle East Company Name: Nikai Phone: +971 4 3368090... Read More »
- Capacity: 2.4 US quarts / 2.2 litres / 800g Temperature: Dial. From 176 F to 392 F / 80 to 200 C Timer: Dial. Up to 30 minutes. Watts: 1500 Runs at 220-240v, 50-60hz Colour: Black with silver accents Warranty: 1 year Notes Sold in the Middle East
- Quik n’ Crispy Greaseless Fryers are commercial models of basket-type hot air fryers. They run very hot and cook very fast. The product has been made for some time before 1990 — long before home hot air frying devices were available. At that time, a man named Paul Artt bought the patent for the devices... Read More »
- Very similar in appearance to the Black and Decker Heat: not known Fan: convection fan Watts: 1230 Runs at 220-240v; 50/60Hz Temperature: Dial. Up to 200°C / 400 F Timer: Dial. Up to 60 minutes. Auto shut-off. Capacity: 4 US quarts / 4 litres Colour: black, with silver accents; also a white with silver... Read More »
- Dimensions: (W * D* H): 11* 13* 12.2 inch/28*33*31cm Weight: 11.1 lbs / 4.6 kg Watts: not known Capacity: 2.4 US quarts / 2.3 litres Temperature: Dial: 80°C to 200 °C / 176 °F to 392 °F Timer: Dial: From 0 to 30 minutes. Auto shut-off. Ding upon cooking completion. Colour: white with black accents... Read More »