This dish, which treats rhubarb as a vegetable (which it is, after all), makes a great side dish for pork, lamb and game dishes. It’s nice to enjoy rhubarb in a different way for a change.
The colours are very festive; a good Easter side dish perhaps?
Serves: 4. Makes 2 cups.
Serving size: ½ cup
- Wash and chunk the carrots. Roast in oil in the Actifry for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash and chunk the rhubarb into 1 cm (1/2 inch) chunks; chop the walnuts up roughly and set aside; wash and zest the orange, set the zest aside, then peel and section the orange and set the sections aside.
- After 20 minutes, add rhubarb, stevia and walnuts, cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in 2 tbsp orange zest and the peeled sections from the orange. Serve immediately.
Put 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large bowl. Toss the carrots in it. Put in machine. Roast for 20 minutes at 160 C / 320 F. Toss. Raise machine temperature to 180 C / 350 F. Roast for another 6 minutes. Take out, put in large bowl with the second teaspoon of oil, the stevia, the rhubarb chunks, and the walnuts. Toss. Return to machine for a final 6 minutes of roasting. Put in large bowl, toss with the 2 tbsp orange zest and the peeled sections from the orange. Serve immediately.
You’ll want about 3 to 4 cups of rhubarb, cut into 1 cm (1/2 inch) pieces.
You can of course use baby carrots or regular carrots instead of heritage carrots.
You add just enough sweeter to take the extreme sour off the rhubarb, but not so much as to make it into a dessert.
The key thing is to make sure that the carrots are basically just about cooked before you add the rhubarb; you really don’t want to roast the rhubarb much more than 5 minutes or it will break down and turn the mixture into an unsightly, though tasty, moosh.
4 servings of 1/2 cup each. Each serving is 5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus®. (The recipe has 22 points in total.) Drop the points to 3 points (105 cal) a serving / 10 ww points for total recipe by omitting the walnuts.
* Nutrition info provided by http://caloriecount.about.com
* PointsPlus™ calculated by hotairfrying.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the PointsPlus® registered trademark.
* Actifry™ is a registered trademark of SEB, France.
* AirFryer™ is a registered trademark of Philips, Netherlands.